Member Injuries SLSNSW Claim Form – Workers Compensation

If you have suffered an illness or injury while performing authorised surf lifesaving activities, Workers Compensation may be payable under the Workers Compensation Act.

Who is entitled to make a claim?
  • Registered SLSNSW financial members.
  • If injury or illness occurred while undertaking a genuine, authorised activity as a surf lifesaver and the member was not receiving remuneration or reward. The member must be performing the activity voluntarily and without obligation.

NB: Members who compete in elite events where prize money is paid or professional sportspersons or competitors who compete in events not under the control of SLS may need to take separate insurance/workers compensation.

Steps To Take
  • Step one: Immediately notify your supervisor or club official such as your patrol or club captain.
  • Step two: The injury or incident must be recorded in the logbook and Incident Reporting Database (IRD) by a nominated club official as soon as possible.
  • Step three: Complete the Workers Compensation Claim Form including witness details and send it directly to iCare Workers Insurance within 48 hours of injury. This can be done via fax: 1300 013 332 or email A copy of this form is not required to be sent to Surf Life Saving NSW however please retain a copy for your records.

If your injury will keep you away from paid employment for at least 7 days you will need to contact iCare immediately on 1800 221 960.

  • Step four: Provide any documents required to assess the claim.
  • Step five: If you require medical treatment, approval must be obtained from iCare prior to the commencement of treatment (unless the treatment is needed in case of an emergency).

iCare will assess a Workers Compensation claim and advise if liability has been accepted or declined after all the official documentation has been provided.

iCare Requirements

Additional documentation such as a Certificate of Capacity, pay slips, tax invoices and receipts may be required. If your claim is accepted by iCare you will be assigned a case worker.